Friday, November 16, 2007

The Joy of Audio Books

If you haven't picked up on it yet, this blogger is an avid reader. I have two to three books going at any given time. I always have a book at my side. Enough said.

As much as I love to read, I also love to listen. I can't get enough of audio books. It's reading with the ears. In some ways, listening to books can be more satisfying than reading them the traditional way. Nothing beats Sherlock Holmes with the right accent. The sound of detective V.I. Warshawski's voice, from author Sara Paretsky, will forever be linked to my listening to (as well as reading) the books. Reading the great "cozy" mysteries of Elizabeth Peters is one thing; hearing the Egyptian and Arabic words properly pronounced is a gift.

Right now, I'm ripping John Krakauer's Into the Wild to my iPod. I look forward to the audio adventure.

I encourage everyone to add a new dimension to reading and listen to books. Audible.com, your library, whatever the source . . . open your ears to your "reading" and you'll never experience a book the same way.

No comments: