Saturday, November 03, 2007

Morning Person

I love to start my day with a strong cup of coffee and pages from a good book. The bed is still warm under the duvet, the air deliciously cool. For a while, the boundaries of my world are defined by the pool of light from my bedside lamp.

With husband, children and dogs asleep, the house is exquisitely still. The heavy grey clouds of northern California mornings act like a giant comforter, keeping everyone and everything snugly tucked in dim light a bit longer.

Joy swells my heart as the family begins to wake, stumbling and stretching, seeking hugs and snuggles or a scratch behind the ears (for the dogs). There is room now for softly spoken words or a gentle backrub.

I sip the hot, milky coffee and am conscious of my breathing. In moments, the day will burst upon us all.

No comments: