Friday, February 27, 2009

"To Sparkle on the Surface . . ."

Henry David Thoreau is one of my heroes. He's a fantastic writer, able naturalist, and all-around resourceful guy. I've read and re-read Walden, Civil Disobedience, Self Reliance, A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers and the Maine Woods.

My thanks go to the fine individual has chosen to make Thoreau's journals into a blog. This daily window to the great man's thoughts across time and a nation never fail to give me pause for reflection.

Today, Thoreau's words herald spring and challenge us to be filled with joy and hope: "If rivers come out of their icy prison thus bright and immortal, shall not I too resume my spring life with joy and hope? Have I no hopes to sparkle on the surface of life’s current?"

Let's get back to sparkling, shall we?

No comments: