Sunday, January 27, 2008

Time Flies

This month has flown. I think about writing every day but sometimes the words just aren't there. Allow me to share a somewhat random collection of what this month has held . . . .

We continue to make the house more functional and more beautiful each week; there are miles to go but our efforts consistently greater progress and promise.

Graham lost his second tooth within a week of losing the first on January 5. I think we've worked out our Tooth Fairy etiquette. A new permanent tooth is showing itself.

Lauren is officially registered for Kindergarten this fall. She'll follow her brother to Ohlone and into his K/1 classroom. What a stressless transition! She knows the teacher, some of the students who will be "olders" when she arrives, and some of the classroom routine. Only immunizations and time stand between her and the big move to Kindergarten.

The cold, rainy weather is motivating me to cook. I am definitely on the hunt for new tastes. Recently, I've become a big fan of Saveur's Carribean Crispy Roast Pork. The kids beg for white bean and kale soup weekly; in a rare departure from the common meal, Mark and I enjoyed Caldo Verde with a healthy kick of spice from the chorizo. Tonight, I'm cracking open the Wagamama cookbook for a homemade ramen with chicken. Graham is running a fever so we're keeping everything simple, accessible and comforting. I'll be stretching the culinary envelope later this week with Dons Tomas' scallops with butternut squash, chilies, and onion. I also found a cool heirloom bean--Calypso Beans--at Whole Foods that I'll make into rice and beans later this week.

On the reading front, I've devoured Cara Black's Aimee Leduc mysteries. This is a well written, suspenseful series set in Paris. Simply put, I'm hooked. I've also been indulging in Ayelet Waldman's "mommy tracked" series of mysteries. They're less exotic but well written and engaging. "Serious" reading has been less appealing to me of late, for no good reason. I have been working through Liz Dalby's East Wind Melts the Ice, a kind of personal reflection on the unique Asian calendar. I must say that great, thoughtful writing shines through; Dalby's prose is first class.

Ah well, there's a full week to redeem myself for January. I'm taking pictures and putting my thoughts together slowly but surely.

No comments: