Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Omnivore's 100 and Me

This meme has been floating around the blogosphere for a while. I first saw it on one of my favorite food blogs, Becks & Posh. Very Good Taste seems to be the point of origin. I consider myself an adventurous eater so I thought I would see just how far I may have gone and what possibilities remain.

With a score of 85/100 my conclusion is that I've eaten broadly and often well. Travel, a desire to explore various ethnic cuisines, and family heritage have definitely pushed the boundaries on what I have consumed. I realize I've been too timid about just "going for it," as was the case with insects (grasshopper in Japan). It's just a question of pushing the edge, whether it's a new flavor of ice cream (pistachio) or a super-hot Indian curry (phaal).

Here are the details:


How the Omnivore's 100 Works:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions

2) Bold all the things you've ever eaten

3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional: Post a comment at Very Good Taste, linking to your results.


85/100 My Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison [both cooked and raw]

2. Nettle tea [hmm, need to check this out]

3. Huevos rancheros

4. Steak tartare

5. Crocodile [it may have been alligator]

6. Black pudding [one of those things I keep trying thinking I'll like it THIS time]

7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp

9. Borscht

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Calamari

12. Pho

13. PB&J sandwich

14. Aloo gobi

15. Hot dog from a street cart [but I prefer Papaya King]

16. Epoisses

17. Black truffle

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

19. Steamed pork buns

20. Pistachio ice cream [I have no idea why not. Next time I'm at Ricks . . . .]

21. Heirloom tomatoes

22. Fresh wild berries

23. Foie gras

24. Rice and beans

25. Brawn or head cheese [not a favorite but I've eaten it. You cannot come from Polish or German ancestry and not have tasted head cheese.]

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper

27. Dulce de leche

28. Oysters [My favorite food!]

29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda

31. Wasabi peas

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl [definitely clam chowder and I'm pretty sure in a sourdough bowl]

33. Salted lassi [no but I want to!]

34. Sauerkraut

35. Root beer float

36. Cognac with a fat cigar [in NYC with great colleagues]

37. Clotted Cream Tea

38. Vodka Jelly/Jell-O [I have no idea why this is on the list nor why I have tried it but I'm not feeling regrets, either]

39. Gumbo

40. Oxtail

41. Curried goat [I'm pretty sure I've eaten curried goat. I have also done roasted goat at home and the whole family ate it!]

42. Whole insects [Had a chance in Japan and decided not to. Shame on me.]

43. Phaal [The hottest Indian curry? Can't say that I have but I'd like to try]

44. Goat's milk

45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth $120 or more

46. Fugu [See #46. Had a chance in Japan and didn't. Shame on me. It's the whole miserable death scenario that put me off.]

47. Chicken tikka masala

48. Eel

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

50. Sea urchin [One of my favorites]

51. Prickly pear

52. Umeboshi [I love these. So deliciously salty and sour.]

53. Abalone

54. Paneer

55. MacDonald's Big Mac Meal

56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini

58. Beer above 8% ABV

59. Poutine [Need to spend more time in Canada.]

60. Carob chips

61. S’mores

62. Sweetbreads

63. kaolin [Not knowingly unless it was the base for a medicine I took]

64. Currywurst [I guess the German heritage thing that afforded me head cheese and sauerkraut missed this one]

65. Durian

66. Frogs’ legs

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

68. Haggis

69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings or andouillette

71. Gazpacho

72. Caviar and blini

73. Louche absinthe

74. Gjetost or brunost [thanks to Swedish friends]

75. Roadkill [I grew up in the rural Midwest. Dad would often bring home various things to share that the guys at work shared with him. Accordingly, I believe I have eaten both racoon and squirrel that met their ends roadside. Both, by the way, were in some sort of barbeque sauce.]

76. Baijiu [If I had it on a trip to Beijing, I don't remember it.]

77. Hostess Fruit Pie

78. Snail

79. Lapsang Souchong

80. Bellini

81. Tom Yum

82. Eggs Benedict

83. Pocky

84. 3 Michelin Star Tasting Menu [This is on the list. Definitely on the list.]

85. Kobe beef [Raw and cooked]

86. Hare

87. Goulash

88. Flowers

89. Horse [Cooked (somewhat sweet) and raw (in Japan, called sakura nikku (cherry meat)]

90. Criollo chocolate

91. Spam

92. Soft shell crab

93. Rose harissa [Regular harissa yes. Rose no. Where do I find this stuff?]

94. Catfish

95. Mole poblano

96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor

98. Polenta

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

100. Snake [Same time as the alligator/crocodile and also accompanied by Rocky Mountain Oysters. Not a stellar food evening.]

No comments: