Monday, November 05, 2007

Putting the Best Foot Forward

We try to cook as a family most nights and have become masters of the 30 minute meal. With a six year old and a four and a half year old, we try to make mealtime as much of a calm, welcoming, if sometimes adventurous, event as possible.

This week my son had a special request: spaghetti and meatballs. Believe it or not, we've never made spaghetti and meatballs. I think he may have found his culinary inspiration in Judi and Ron Barrett's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I'm encouraged that what we read about can find its way to the dinner table, and vice versa. I want his first experience to set the benchmark.

I found this recipe from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, and laid in the supplies today. Tomorrow will find us shaping meatballs and making the simple but delicious red sauce to grace the pasta. It's not a quick meal but I am hoping it's one to remember. Stay tuned and I'll let you know if we hit a family culinary high note!

No comments: